English Dutch French German Portuguese Spanish
Menu

April 2016: Eni’s Goliat field in Norway hit by gas leak

Eni’s Goliat field located in the Barents Sea, offshore Norway, has been hit by a gas leak. This is the same oil company that is the majority shareholder of the Galp/Eni consortium that intends drilling the first exploratory well off Aljezur's coastline in the Alentejo Basin from 1 July 2016. Do we really want them here? You decide ... here's the latest news from their operations in Norway!

 

After several media reports said there has been a gas leak on Eni’s Barents Sea field, Offshore Energy Today has reached out to the Norwegian offshore safety agency, the Petroleum Safety Authority, as well as the operator of the field, Eni, for confirmation of these reports.

 

In an e-mail to Offshore Energy Today, the safety authority’s spokesperson confirmed there was a gas leak on the field: “We can confirm that Eni notified us about a gas leak on Goliat on Sunday evening. The situation was normalized shortly after.”

 

After years of delays, the Italian oil company Eni announced the start of production from the Goliat field this March, and the field was officially opened on Monday, April 18, 2016, by the Norwegian energy minister Tord Lien.

 

The PSA’s spokesperson also added that after the official opening on Monday morning, there was another gas alarm in the afternoon “but this was probably a false alarm, since the production was shut down”.

 

The Italian oil company was not immediately available for comment!!! ... 

 

 

Background

Goliat, located 85 kilometers northwest of Hammerfest, offshore northern Norway, is the first oil field to come on stream in the Barents Sea and is being developed using a floating cylindrical production and storage and offloading unit built in South Korea. Eni holds a 65% stake (as operator) in Production Licence 229. The Norwegian company Statoil holds the remaining 35%.

After years of delays, Eni, an Italian oil company, has started production from the Goliat field in the Barents Sea. The field, dubbed the world’s northernmost offshore development, was originally planned for first oil in 2013. Goliat, located 85 kilometers northwest of Hammerfest, offshore northern Norway, is the first oil field to come on stream in the Barents Sea and is being developed using a floating cylindrical production and storage and offloading unit built in South Korea.

  1. The FPSO has a storage capacity of almost one million barrels and was built in order to meet the technical and environmental challenges linked to Arctic offshore operations.
  2. The field will produce 100,000 barrels of oil per day (65,000 boed net to Eni). The field is estimated to contain about 180 million barrels of oil.
  3. Production will be facilitated using a subsea system consisting of 22 wells (17 of which are already completed). There are twelve production wells, seven water injectors and three gas injectors.
  4. The field is supplied with hydro-generated electricity from the mainland by means of a subsea cable.
  5. The platform has a production capacity of 100,000 barrels of oil per day and storage capacity of 950.000 barrels.
  6. Field life is currently estimated to be 20 years.

According to Eni, the production started-up in the evening of March 12, 2016, and was followed by a rapid production ramp-up of all wells. Full re-injection of associated gas into the reservoir has started and re-injection of produced water in order to minimise environmental impact will soon start, the company stated.

The operator added that the Goliat cylindrical FPSO was fully winterised and was specially designed for operations in the Barents Sea. It is powered from shore through a subsea electrical cable, which, at the time of construction, was the longest of its kind ever made, the company said.

The platform has a production capacity of 100,000 barrels of oil per day and storage capacity of 950.000 barrels. Its estimated recoverable reserves are ca 180 million barrels of oil. Field life is currently estimated to 20 years, with significant upside already identified.

 

Source: Offshore Energy Today

You are here: HomeOil and GasNem Um FuroIndustry Related InformationApril 2016: Eni’s Goliat field in Norway hit by gas leak
  • ASMAA - Algarve Surf and Marine Activities Association
    NIPC: 510 381 952
    Tel: 00 351 282 182 103
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    asmaa-algarve.org
    Rua Dr. Alberto Iria
    Lote 12, R/C Esq
    Porto de Môs
    Lagos 8600-580
    Portugal
Go to top