ASMAA is a private not-for-profit association complying with its statuary aims and objectives of supporting the Algarve tourism driven sectors using the sea and marine activities as tools of sustainability. In addition ASMAA strongly supports the environment, with a special emphasis on protecting the oceans surrounding the Algarve coastal regions.
As our work is expanding in terms of services, scale of delivery, impact and finances, we are seeking to strengthen the governance of the organisation by recruiting Board members who have a personal alignment with the mission of the organisation, who understand the role of governance, have the expertise, experience and insight to guide a growing organisation.
We are seeking to appoint between 8 and 15 individuals to join the three Boards of ASMAA - (Main Board of Directors, Financial Board and the Executive Board) - as well as seeking individuals to join any of the 5 Special Focus Committees as team members.
Key Elements that we are looking for in the Applicants
The appointed Board member has the following key elements:
- Strategy – Board members should constructively challenge and help develop proposals on strategy;
- Performance – Board members should scrutinise the performance of management in meeting agreed goals and objectives and monitor the reporting of performance;
- Risk – Board members should satisfy themselves on the integrity of financial information and that controls and systems of risk management are robust and defensible; and
- People – Board members are responsible for determining the appropriate levels of remuneration for directors and executive staff once liquidity in the association has been established.
The appointed Board members should:
- Be independent in judgement and have an enquiring mind
- Promote openness and trust
- Be well informed about the Association and the external environment in which it operates
- Have a sound understanding of the issues relevant to the Association
- Continually seek to develop and refresh their knowledge and skills to ensure that their contribution to the Board remains informed and relevant
- Alert the Chief Executive if information is not provided sufficiently in advance of meetings to enable thorough consideration of the issues facing the Board
- Understand the views of the Association’s stakeholders
An effective Board member:
- Upholds the highest ethical standards of integrity and probity;
- Supports the executives in their leadership of the Association while monitoring their conduct;
- Questions intelligently, debates constructively, challenges rigorously and decides dispassionately;
- Listens to the views of others, inside and outside the Board;
- Gains the trust and respect of other Board members; and
- Promotes the highest standards of corporate governance.
The role of the portfolio holder is to:
- Understand the subject matter of the portfolio;
- Undertake appropriate training, specifically to improve effectiveness of the portfolio holder;
- Regularly discuss with staff as appropriate the portfolio subject;
- To act, as appropriate, as a critical friend to staff working in areas covered by the portfolio.
More information can be found in our site www.asmaa-algarve.org under the “About” section http://asmaa-algarve.org/index.php/en/about
Posts are initially of a volunteer nature and the duration is 3 years.
- The closing date for applications is Monday 31 August 2014.
- If you have any questions, please contact Laurinda Seabra at 969 320 231
We welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, race, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, or political opinion.