Dozens of photos showing the visual impact of the “chemical foam” drilling results were taken. (See a photo library here)
Now, the concern is what are the environmental impacts of this foam.
The foam can clearly be seen running into a small stream that eventually links up to the river that links to the estuary at Amoreira Beach.
Let’s recap the information that is publicly known:
- The site is located in an National Agricultural Reserve
- As far as we are aware, only one borehole/well drilling licences was issued. But visual evidence shows that 2 boreholes
- Initially the permit allowed for drilling to a depth of 150 metres, which was subsequently extended to a drilling depth of 500 metres. (Read our report here)
- The land owner is “Domus Verde” a real estate development business, who’s director is Sousa Cintra, and who’s shareholders are family members of Cintra.
- Sousa Cintra is also the shareholder and director of Portfuel – the company that holds the concession licence for the exploration, exploitation and commercialisation of oil and gas in all the onshore concessions for the Algarve.
- This specific site where drilling for “water” is taking place is located within the oil and gas development activity concession area awarded to Portfuel.
- Domus Verde appointed as drilling contractor “Fonseca Furos”, a company that has as clients – companies such as Total Portugal Petroleos and Mohave Oil & Gas.
- That as early as January 24 this year, Fonseca Furos successfully found water on this site and on a Facebook page the owner shared this fact. (We have a copy of a video and a screen shot of this page showing this announcement) - Then why has the drilling for water continued?
Taking above into account, and adding the fact that we have on many occasions heard our esteem politicians say: "Portugal isn't Greece" "Portugal is the next Norway /Aberdeen" we have to ask … what is really going on in the Aljezur area of Perdigão?
Time is ripe to once again demand answers from government and to pressurize them to put a stop to this travesty.